Our Beauty Editor Coral shares her favourite make up products of the moment.
With Summer well and truly upon us, even if the current weather screams Winter, it is beneficial to cater our make-up bags and beauty routine to suit. These Top 8 beauty must haves should see you through those summer months of sunshine, awkward rain showers and clammy summer nights.
1. Top of the list is a light base, foundation should not feel heavy on the skin at the best of times let alone in the warmer weather. BB creams are a god send, they offer just enough coverage whilst also protecting your skin. My pick is Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream, it applies smoothly and evenly and it does not leave my skin feeling dry, it also contains SPF 30 which is a bonus. It is available in 5 shades.
2. To set your make-up base, use a loose translucent powder only in the places that you find particularly oily. My pick is NYX Studio Finishing Powder, it may seem quite scary as this powder is brilliant white in colour but a little goes a long way. Use a large make-up brush and shake off all excess, dab and press into oil prone areas and you are good to go. Just ensure you blend it in well.
3. Next on the list is a solid mascara. I love feeling like I have soft, fluttering lashes which is why my favourite at the moment is Benefit Roller Lash, this mascara is like a curling wand for your lashes. It lifts, curls and separates the lashes to give you a more wide eyed look. 10/10.
4. A wash of colour on your cheeks can give you a healthy glow, Benefit’s Cheekathon is a blush kit which includes 5 shades and a cute little brush to apply them with. The 5 full size blushes included in this kit are Dandelion which is light, matte pastel pink shade, Hoola which is the brands famous matte bronzing powder, Rockateur which is a rose gold shade with a hint of shimmer, CORALista which is a light, matte coral pink shade and finally Dallas which is a pink toned bronzer.
5. Lipstick can help bring your whole look together and give you that extra boost in confidence. It can also however feel quite heavy on the lips, enter NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream. These little tubes are cheap and cheerful and the colour pay off really packs a punch. Available in 34 shades, there is a colour to suit everyone’s needs, from pinks to corals, nudes to browns, reds to plums and even blue. They are super pigmented, smell amazing, easy to use (they have a wand applicator) and feel soft and light on the lips. Unlike most liquid lipsticks they do not dry full matte which is a bonus if you want to avoid flaky, cracked lips.
6.Another one from NYX, Blotting Paper, you get 50 sheets for a very reasonable price tag. These nifty little sheets of paper allow you to banish oil without adding more powder and avoid that awful caked appearance. Press lightly onto the areas needed to remove excess oil and you’re done! Piece of cake.
7. To stop make-up from going anywhere other than on your face, a setting spray is a must. My pick is MAC Prep + Prime Fix+ which is a hydrating, lightweight spray. Use it to finish your make-up and keep everything in place and also use it throughout the day to keep your face feeling hydrated and fresh.
8. Last on the list is a product which will gently remove make-up and also leave your skin feeling clean and cared for. Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water removes dirt and make-up easily without the need to excessively rub, it even gets rid of waterproof mascara. It leaves my skin feeling refreshed and clean without feeling greasy or blotchy.
Be sure to share your beauty essentials in the comments below.